$100 Film Festival Film Update 2011 October 2

The weather was good this week, and I didn’t expect that to keep up, so I decided I’d better get the outdoor shots I wanted. Wednesday I signed out a Scoopic from Yvonne Abusow at the CSIF and then I was committed. I had a hectic couple of days. I wanted shots of the various locations associated with the festival over the years. Thursday afternoon I hopped into my car and headed out.

I started at The Garry Theatre, where we held the festival from 1997 to 1999. That didn’t take long, but I was shooting into the sun, so I decided that if I could, I’d reshoot it later.

My second stop was Fort Calgary, where we held the festival from 1993 to 1995. That was another easy shot. I had thought I’d take about a half hour at each location, but I had the first two done in less than a half hour.

Stop three was the 4th Street office of the CSIF from 1997 to 2002. Parking was a bit of a challenge, but it only took a couple minutes to get the shot.

Stop four was the Uptown Theatre. We held the festival there in 1996 and then again from 2000 to 2003. Again, parking was a challenge. It took me less time to do the shoot than it took me to take care of parking.

Next stop was the Unitarian church on 16th Avenue NW. It was the CSIF’s office when I joined in 1990 and we stayed there until 1997. We also held the first $100 Film Festival there in 1992.

I drove by the Alberta College of Art and Design and the Plaza Theatre but couldn’t find a place to park, so I left them for Friday.

Friday morning I packed the Scoopic into a back pack and took the bus to SAIT, where I got my shot of ACAD. We held the festival there in the Stanford Perrott Theatre from 2004 to 2006.

I took the LRT to Sunnyside and walked over to the Plaza Theatre. We’ve held the festival there since 2007. We also screened Donna Brunsdale’s film Cheerful Tearful there in 1998. Some guy walked into shot, so I kept shooting until he got out of the way. I was a little annoyed, but then I came up with a way to use that shot of him in the movie.

On every film I’ve done I’ve discovered that filmmaking is a physical challenge. I did a lot of walking around with a heavy camera. Well, the camera wasn’t that heavy, but after I carried it around for a couple of hours it started to feel heavy.

I went back to The Garry Theatre and got a better shot this time. It was the same time of day, but the clouds softened the light.

My last stop was the CSIF offices at Currie Barracks. I got a shot of that too. I returned the camera as well.

I think I see where I will go with this film. Up to now it as just a bunch of shot ideas, now I see a structure to it.

Now I just hope the film turns out OK.

Leave a Reply