“The Barrier” Not Quite Yet

Arthur_looks_Down_12475I had hoped to have “The Barrier” done and posted this week, but I’m not quite ready yet. I watched the version 0.4 video. I saw a lot of things I would like to change, but I would have to remake the movie from scratch to fix them. I thought about my goals for this version of the movie and there were several things I want to use it for.

Firstly, I want to get some feedback from people about the story and characters. I have some ideas about changes I would like to make, but I feel I am still too close to the story to be objective. People may dislike what I like and like what I dislike.

Secondly, I want to use this version as a way to develop an audience for the final version. I’ve started to think of this version as an animated treatment to show what I want to do with the idea. The final version would likely be quite different.

Thirdly, If I go ahead with a final version of the movie, I will need to look at crowd funding to pay for the production. I can use this animated treatment to help raise the money.

Based on these thoughts, I decided that I would go ahead with the movie as it is.

I prepared a short introduction to put at the start of the movie. In it I ask people to help me make the movie better. This is of course the main goal of this version. In addition I see it as a way to manage the expectations of the viewers. I added in the introduction to create version 0.5 of the movie.

One last bit of work I want to do it add subtitles to the movie. I had thought there was an easy way to do this in Premiere Pro. There isn’t. I can create an XML file that has all of the words with the times they are said.

Unfortunately, it provides only individual words, not sentences or phrases. I am sure that there is a way to convert the file, but I just don’t know how. A couple things I tried looked like they would take a long time. Maybe I’ll post without the subtitles and add them later.

Leave a Reply